Tuesday 3 July 2012

Shelby's Pet {Part 1}




Shelby's curls bounced, as she turned her head, to look up at the man standing next to her.

"Can we get one Dad? Pleeeeease?"

"No," the man replied, not even looking at her. His gruff voice left no misinterpretation.

His friend looked up from under the hood of the car, and cleared his throat.

"Actually Daryl, you would be doin' me a real favour if ya would take one. I got heaps of the mongrels, and if I don't get rid of 'em soon, I'm gonna have to kill 'em. I need the bitch ready to breed again soon, and these pups are gettin' too old t' sell. You can choose one for nothin'...."

Daryl looked at the little girl, and she was looking at him, her eyes pleading him to say yes.

He didn't want a dog. It would be one more thing to give him the shits. But on the other hand, he supposed, it might be one way of keeping the girl occupied, so maybe she would leave him the hell alone.

"Ok," he said, not sounding at all happy about it. "But you gotta do everything for it. I don't wanna even know it's there, ya understand?"

She understood completely. The dog had to be just as invisible as she did.

Shelby nodded and quickly turned away, before he could change his mind. She already knew which one she wanted. The little one, near the back of the cage. The quiet, timid one, with the sad eyes. The one that reminded her of herself.

The friend opened the cage, grabbed the terrified puppy by the scruff of the neck, and dropped it into Shelby's waiting arms. She hugged it close, feeling its trembling through her clothes. She didn't know if it was a girl or boy, and she didn't care. She wasn't game to ask, in case her father had a preference. She would just call it 'Blackie', and that way it wouldn't matter.


The friend closed the hood of their car, and after sorting out payment, Daryl opened the door and climbed in. Still worried he might change his mind, Shelby was almost too scared to breathe, as she climbed in the back with her little bundle. Little Blackie, obviously grateful for her warmth, tucked its head in further and snuggled in to her. The trembling was still there, but not as pronounced as it had been, and Shelby smiled, something she rarely did.


As they drove away, she turned her head towards Daryl's open window and let the breeze blow across her face.


She was beginning to feel something, that in all of her six years, she'd never felt before. 


Joy.






Part 2 coming next week!






Linking in with Penny from A Mum in the Wild, for Short Tale Tuesday.
Also linking in with Diary of A SAHM for IBOT




15 comments:

  1. Beautiful writing Tracey. can't wait for part two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tracey, my heart. That poor little girl. I felt for her straight away and disliked the father equally so. I loved the males voice, you wrote that perfectly.

    I love that she compared herself to the puppy. It really gave us a great understanding of her feelings.

    This was beautiful. Can't wait for part two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pen! I was hoping people would read the man talking the same way I heard it in my head! lol

      Delete
  3. oh beautiful and so well written, I want to read more!! Such a sucker for a doggy story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karla! Yep, give me a story about an animal and I'm hooked! :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like it might be even more heartbreaking next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not exactly sure Laureny....I haven't written it yet!! lol
      I do know it's not going to be easy to write though :)

      Delete
  5. What a sad and yet beautiful story! Can't wait for next weeks installment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess! I was hoping for a bit of a balance! :)

      Delete
  6. Oh, Tracey! Such a beautiful strory! I have a feel next week is going to be a real tear jerker...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace! As I said to Laureny above, I'm not entirely sure as I haven't written it yet! But with what I have floating around in my head, it's going to be hard to write!
      Hard to get in the head of an arsehole, when you're not one! lol

      Delete
  7. Got me hooked too, poignant and beautiful , Tracey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that was gorgeous. I could totally feel the girl. Rx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very, very good! Was totally there and equally as hooked. Great work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!
I love to read them all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...