Wednesday 15 February 2012

An Eve To Remember

Well, it's official. I'm in love!

It's certainly not the first time! After all, I am a happily married woman with two adorable kids, so being in love is nothing new to me. However this is different.

Would you like to see the one worthy of my affections?




She's lovely isn't she!

'She' is a female Brushtail Possum joey I have christened 'Eve', as she came into care on New Year's Eve. I think that's fitting.

I don't normally allow myself to fall in love with the wildlife that come into care. I mean, they're not mine after all. I care for them until they are able to support themselves, and then they get released back to the wild. If I fell in love with every furry and feathery critter that spends time in my shelter, I would be terribly sad every time I let one go. And it's no reason to be sad! They are going back to where they belong....as far as I'm concerned its a cause for celebration! I get immense satisfaction from the fact that I did that! I raised them, or tended their wounds and made it possible for them to continue doing what they were put on this planet to do. It's such an awesome feeling.

Eve, however, is the youngest Brushtail possum I have ever cared for. Her mother was dead on the side of the road after being hit by a car, and the girl who found her took the time to stop and check the pouch. She was only 74 grams when she came in, pink and fur less, with her eyes still fused shut.




For the first two weeks I was feeding her three hourly around the clock, but as she has grown, the time between feeds had increased, and she is now going six hours overnight. At last I am starting to get some sleep again and not feeling quite as much like a zombie! Well, almost!

She looks huge to me now. She is currently 182g and has gone from having 1ml a feed, to between 7and 8 mls a feed. She has a little teddy to cling to, and is starting to emerge from the pouch from time to time.




How could you not love that face!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!
I love to read them all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...