Sunday 22 January 2012

Poppy

I'm such a sook.

For the last month (almost) we have been fostering a little female dog, a Maltese cross, and today she went to her forever home. I have been bawling on and off since I got the phone call that they loved her and wanted to keep her. Don't get me wrong, I am so happy that a lovely couple decided that she was perfect for them, and I'm not at all surprised! After all, she is completely adorable! But it is a real bitter-sweet moment for me, as it is really sad to say goodbye to this lovable little girl who wormed her way into our hearts in only a matter of minutes.

This was our first foster....of pets that is. I've been a wildlife foster carer for over five years, but only just recently decided to start fostering dogs as well. There are so many beautiful dogs and cats that have been abandoned in pounds all over the country, and they deserve a second chance to find their forever home. We decided that we have enough room (and love!) for one more, until they find that special person and place, so, the day before she was due to be euthanased, a little ball of fluff named Poppy came home with me.

She was desperate for a bath as she stank to high heaven after being at the pound. I was determined she wasn't coming inside until she'd had one, so it was the first thing we did. Although she wasn't entirely impressed, she allowed me to clean her up so we could start getting to know each other.

It didn't take her long at all to become a part of the family. She followed me around constantly and just plopped herself at my feet, wherever I was. For the first few days, with not being accustomed to having a little shadow, I was constantly tripping over her! Soon, I learnt to look down before I took a step, and she learnt to move when she heard me get up! Who said you can't teach old dogs new tricks?

The boys took to her immediately and she loved their cuddles and being included in their games. She wasn't so sure about the dress ups, or being made to dance on two legs, but she allowed them to do what they wanted, as long as they were gentle. She just made a point of taking regular breaks!

She even enjoyed lying down having a read with my youngest!


Fostering Poppy has been such a wonderful experience, and I feel like I'm a better person for it. True, it is hard to say goodbye, I don't deny that. However, what is harder to for me to comprehend, is the amount of beautiful, adoptable animals being put down every week because they don't have anyone to love them. That just doesn't make sense to me. Why would you buy animals from a pet shop when there are so many in shelters just waiting for a home?

How Poppy came to be in the pound in the first place is beyond me, but I'm so glad I was able to make a difference in her life. One of my favourite sayings is this:

          'Saving one dog may not change the world, but the world changes for that one dog'.

Incredibly true.

 So goodbye, my gorgeous little Poppy. May the rest of your life be filled with love, walks and cuddles, as you deserve nothing less. I may be crying, but I'm smiling through my tears, at the thought of you being happy for the rest of your furry little life.



Farewell my sweet ♥




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!
I love to read them all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...